Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Bali

I went to Bali for the week-end, since it's not to far from here.

I have to say that the place inspired a few new ideas, there are a lot of different colors and pattern and the smell of incense and flower is very strong when you walk around.

Maybe because it was a week-end, and they put flower offerings outside on a saturday, but it felt nice and made me dizzy again.... this made me feel correct about having Circes using smokes (incenses) and smells to hypnotize people.

Batik also had wonderful pattern and when it comes to pattern and decorations I think the balinese culture is pretty dedicated.

I was surprised by the amount of detail-work put in the doors and temple and some of the facial expressions of the balinese dancers were incredibly fierce and particularly interesting!

I want to use this experience for my next story and try and translate the pattern, the details, the facial expression and the smell in The Adventures of The Pirate Balthasar.

I am not usually the type to share vacation pictures - except with friends - but I thought you might enjoy seeing what I am talking about. So allow me to post a couple of photos.



Another noticeable thing was the fact that the sound of the gamelan and their music in general is very hypnotic and relaxing... I don't know how to say this but.... how many of you go to beauty salons and spas and have to endure that annoying new age whatever spa music?

I cannot stand it, personally I take a breath when suddenly classical music shows up... the rest of the time not only I don't relax, I am forced to ask the lady to turn it off, if possible otherwise she keeps telling me: relax, why do you cringe your teeth like that?

I can't help it, spa music makes my brain burn, I feel the scorching pain inside my cranium and I try to think to something else but I can't.

Now balinese music goes on non-stop as you walk on the street, because the little children are practicing in the temples and there are more temples than houses over in Bali, especially in Ubud, where I went.

The whole day for hours... it was wonderful. Why can't they use balinese music in spa?

Oh, by the way the first page is the result of my sketch crawl, I still have 2 more big drawing but I cannot find them now, LOL.

No comments: